Solved Exercise of Synthesis
-: Exercise :-
Combine the following groups of Simple Sentences into one Simple Sentence by using a Preposition before a Gerund or Noun :
1. My brother is ill. He has high fever.
Simple – My brother is ill with high fever.
2. He saw the moon. He became glad.
Simple – On seeing the moon, he became glad.
3. He gave them food. He helped them liberally.
Simple – Besides giving them food, he helped them liberally.
4. I bought a watch. I paid Rs 500 for it.
Simple – I bought a watch for Rs 500.
5. You helped me. I would have been drowned.
Simple – I would have been drowned without your help.
6. He behaved rudely with me. I was quite displeased.
Simple – I was quite displeased at his rude behaviour.
7. He has failed many times. He still hopes to succeed.
Simple – Inspite of many failures, he hopes to succeed.
8. I bought a pen. I got it for ten rupees.
Simple – I bought a pen for ten rupees.
9. He was a poor man. He was of an independent spirit.
Simple – He was a poor man of an independent spirit.
10. The state of Andhra is divided into several districts. Each district has its own headquarters.
Simple – The state of Andhra is divided into several districts with having their own headquarters.
11. He could not come. He was ill.
Simple – On account of illness, he could not come.
12. I reached the station. I bought tickets.
Simple – After reaching the station, I bought tickets. Or Simple – On reaching the station, I bought tickets.
13. He fled. He had seen a bear coming.
Simple – On seeing a bear coming, he fled.
14. He was arrested. I heard the news. I went to the police station.
Simple – On hearing the news of his arrestment, I went to the police station.
15. He ruturned safely. All were glad.
Simple – On his returning safe, all were glad.
16. He wrote a book. The book was on translation.
Simple – He wrote a book on translation.
17. Sohan sold his house. He sold it for fifty thousand rupees.
Simple – Sohan sold his house for fifty thousand rupees.
18. Her uncle died. She heard the news. She wept.
Simple – On hearing the news of her uncle’s death, she wept.
19. She met an old man in the street. He had a book in his hand.
Simple – She met an old man with having a book in his hand in the street.
20. His wife died. He heard the news. He fainted.
Simple – On hearning the news of his wife’s death, he fainted.
21. I saw the principal in the verandah. I went away to the class.
Simple – On seeing the principal in the verandah, I went away to the class.
22. I play all games. I do not play hockey.
Simple – Except hockey, I play all games.
23. The teacher has checked your all exercises. He found many mistakes in them.
Simple – On checking your all exercises, the teacher found many mistakes in them.
24. He finished his homework. He went away to play.
Simple – After finishing his homework, he went away to play.
25. The invigilator found two students copying. He cancelled the examination.
Simple – On finding two students copying, the invigilator cancelled the examination.
26. The soldiers were marching with pride. They had arms in their hands.
Simple – The soldiers were marching with pride with having arms in their hands.
27. My father has won the first prize in the monthly lottery. He is very happy.
Simple – On winning the first prize in the monthly lottery, my father was very happy.
28. You must tell me the secret. You can then avoid the punishment.
Simple – On telling me the secret, you can avoid the punishment.
29. He is ungrateful. I help him much.
Simple – Inspite of his ungratefulness, I help him much. Or Inspite of ungratefulness, I help him much.
30. He passed. All of his friends became happy.
Simple – On his success, all of his friends became happy.
-: One question for you :-
Qu. I reached the stantion. The train had gone.